turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

johnherndon
Returning Member

Self-Emplayed

I'm a realtor and my financial guy had me make 2 deposits in my SEP account last year. One as an employer and one as a realtor. Turbo Tax says my maximum to deposit is 6500.00. How do I enter the deductions in TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Self-Emplayed

If you are self employed then you are NOT an employee or employer ... seek local professional assistance to sort this out. 

Carl
Level 15

Self-Emplayed

If self-employed and your business type is sole proprietorship or single member LLC (which is most likely) then your business is considered a disregarded entity by the IRS. For either of those two business types you the owner of the business can not be an "employee" of the business. So any contributions to a retirement account are entered under the Deductions & Credits tab in the Retirement & Investments section.

Now if your single member LLC has filed form 8832 with the IRS to be "treated like an S-Corp" for tax purposes, then a completely different set of rules apply to you and your business. Basically, if the 8832 was filed then in order for your business to be "treated like an S-Corp", it must "act" like an S-Corp. This means the business must follow all the laws, rules and regulations set for by the IRS and your state for S-Corps. This includes the requirement that you must take a minimum taxable "draw" from the business every year. In addition to that, you can also be an employee of that company and the S-Corp can do things such as provide a 401(k) or SEP IRA to it's employees.

Finally, if the business did "in fact" file the 8832 to be "treated like an S-Corp" then there's two things of major importance here.

1. Absolutely nothing concerning the business will be filed on a SCH C at all, with no exceptions.

2. The business must file it's own physically separate tax return on IRS Form 1120-S.

The business tax return needs to be completed and file before you can even start your personal tax return. That's because the business will issue all owners a K-1 which is absolutely required for your personal tax return. If you are also an employee of that business, then you will also be issued a W-2 which would include all SEP IRA contributions in box 12 and the contributed amount which includes both your contribution from wages as well as the employer/company contributions would not be included in box 1 of that W-2.

Another possible issue if this is your case, is that if the LLC/S-Corp did not file for an extension, then your late filing penalties are adding up. Corporate returns were due March 15th, and it's $200 per month for each month it's late. So as it stands now if you didn't file for a corporate extension your late fee is $1000 and increased another $200 if not filed by Sept 15th.

If a corporate extension was filed, then your extended deadline to file is Sept 15th.

Overall I get the impression that you've never dealt with business taxes before of any type. So I would suggest you seek professional help at this late stage in the game and then try again next year well before your filing deadlines.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies