turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule C & Estate trust Schedule K1

I have a small online business and have a loss on it this year of under 3000 (including previous year carryover).  My husbands dad passed away leaving us a trust spread over 10 years for which we received a K1 for. the partnerships the dad was invested in. 

Before I knew of this K1 we were receiving a refund but I hadn't filed yet.  After I input the K1 it reduced my refund considerable..Of course I checked it out & I noticed that my business was applied against the K! - like the software considered it the same?  

Is this supposed to happen? Since it is a 10 year trust this will happen every year until it's closed out?  Thank you for the assistance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If the Schedule K-1 is reporting Income, it will be applied to any other income (or loss) on your return, so could very well increase your taxable income and reduce your refund.

Depending on what type of income is being reported on the K-1 (rental? business?) the amounts may vary over the years, but yes, you should be prepared to have your total income increase each year.

Click this link for more info on Schedule K-1 for Trusts and Estates.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It is estate income from my father in law who passed away in  2019.  He used partnership or pass through companies to invest in.  They were all liquidated after he passed away and we were hit with 15k income (with Dividends & Capital Gains too) thru Schedule K1.   My personal business loss was applied toward that causing us to lose a large part of our refund.  Thanks! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies