turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Musician part time

I worked full time in 2019 in health care, part time musician; received 1099 for several jobs, and divided money from each job four ways to the other musicians.  So 1099 does not accurately reflect my income; should I file Schedule C?  I fear it may be an error to list only 1/4 of 1099 earnings.  Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Musician part time

Yes, you should file a Schedule C reporting all of the income on the Form 1099-MISC.  Then, you will include a business expense for contract labor to account for the money that you paid the other musicians.  That way, you are only being taxed on your portion of the income. 

The other musicians are responsible for reporting and paying taxes on their portions.  If the amount you paid each one exceeded $600, then you are technically responsible for issuing them a Form 1099-MISC for their portions.  

@kjgerndt

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Musician part time

Yes, you should file a Schedule C reporting all of the income on the Form 1099-MISC.  Then, you will include a business expense for contract labor to account for the money that you paid the other musicians.  That way, you are only being taxed on your portion of the income. 

The other musicians are responsible for reporting and paying taxes on their portions.  If the amount you paid each one exceeded $600, then you are technically responsible for issuing them a Form 1099-MISC for their portions.  

@kjgerndt

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies