turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ambrebobby
Returning Member

land as inventory

We are an LLP  We own land as inventory.  Do we add all expenses to the basis or may we take some as expenes?  If so, which ones?   Of the ones we much add to the basis, do we spread indirect ones based on the basis and direct ones, of course, to the direct property?  We have not sold any land during 2020.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

land as inventory

The only additions to the cost basis of land would be improvements to the land itself (e.g. grading, roads, fencing, fill, 'permanent' structures, etc.).

The only direct expenses for land that come to mind would be property taxes and maintenance (e.g. mowing, weed control). Both of these costs are expensed in the year incurred.

Indirect expenses (e.g. administration, advertising, office, travel, etc.) are also expensed in the year incurred

Ambrebobby
Returning Member

land as inventory

Thank you for your quick answer and then followup.  I am confused about  the answer.  Partnerships I believe are subject to uniform capitaliztion unless a 263A  so I am not certain which way to go.  And then how to allocate indirect costs to varioous properties.  I also believe that small owners are not subject to this allocation.  I hoped the answer I received would have menioned and addressed these items.

Sandra

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies