Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Fiscal Year Estate Tax Return documents required to report income

I'm filing a final1041 for an estate using a fiscal year of 6/1/21-5/31/22.  I do not have 1099 forms that cover that period but I do have the information.  Do I just include the data in the 1041 as if it were reported on a 1099 or do I have to attach information showing the data and how I arrived at the income reported?

I did a previous return and did not provide any statements or anything, just entered to income for the fiscal year as if it were reported on 1099s.  So - if I do have to provide additional information in the form of statements or something then I will probably have to amend my previous filing.

And - If I have to provide additional statement,  I assume I will have to mail the return instead of efile.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you provide any additional statements, you will have to print and mail the return; TurboTax Business does not allow for multiple PDF attachments (beyond the 8453-FE).

Regardless, you do not need to supply additional statements in this instance. However, if the data turns out to differ from what you reported on the 1041 and the figures on the 1099(s), you may have to amend the return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you provide any additional statements, you will have to print and mail the return; TurboTax Business does not allow for multiple PDF attachments (beyond the 8453-FE).

Regardless, you do not need to supply additional statements in this instance. However, if the data turns out to differ from what you reported on the 1041 and the figures on the 1099(s), you may have to amend the return.

The figures are correct.  The 1099s are just split between two years.    I have all the dated data from brokerage accounts and banks.  The actually 1099s do not have individual dates - just the whole calendar year.  So if the IRS were to want to verify interest, dividends, gains,  they would not know how to split the data without information from me.  I have it all filed with the tax returns so I guess I can just wait and see if they ask for it.

Thank You.  I am closing the estate and doing my final return. I really don't want to do any amendments.

lesson learned - choose calendar year not fiscal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies