Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I invested money in new small business. I don't own the business. It was initial cost to help get it started. The business is still in process of growing. Can I deduct

Can I deduct any part of the money I invested?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
FrankG

I invested money in new small business. I don't own the business. It was initial cost to help get it started. The business is still in process of growing. Can I deduct

No.  An investment is equity in a business.  You can deduct losses, and you will have to declare any profits as income.   If you dispose of this investment at a loss, that is deductible.  Likewise, if you sell the investment for a profit, that is income, and taxable. 

But, the investment in the business is not deductible.

You mention that you do not own the business.  In that case, perhaps you loaned this money.  If they made payments to you that include interest, that interest is income and taxable.  If for some reason, the loan will never be repaid you could write that off as an uncollectible bad debt.  Having made a loan does not create a tax deduction.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
FrankG

No.  An investment is equity in a business.  You can deduct losses, and you will have to declare any profits as income.   If you dispose of this investment at a loss, that is deductible.  Likewise, if you sell the investment for a profit, that is income, and taxable. 

But, the investment in the business is not deductible.

You mention that you do not own the business.  In that case, perhaps you loaned this money.  If they made payments to you that include interest, that interest is income and taxable.  If for some reason, the loan will never be repaid you could write that off as an uncollectible bad debt.  Having made a loan does not create a tax deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies