Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

3girlsofmyown
Returning Member

Maryland Form 502SU

Turbo Tax populated form 502SU (Military Overseas Income Code P Smart Worksheet) in the amount of 15000 for both me and my husband.  There is no way for me to delete this.

Am I misunderstanding what this is asking?  I haven't seen this form in 20 years of filing Maryland taxes.

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Maryland Form 502SU

The Code P subtraction is for military active duty pay ($15,000 or less) earned while serving overseas for MD residents. Couples filing joint returns can get a deduction for each spouse that meets the requirements.  To claim the deduction you must enter an active duty military W2 (in your case one for each of you) in the federal interview and after entering the form information you will arrive at the page asking for "Uncommon Situations".  There you would need to select "Active Duty Military" for each of the W2s.  Finally, in the MD interview in the "Income" section, you would need to enter an amount in the Military Wages Earned Overseas box when asked.  

If you do not meet the requirements for the deduction go back to the above steps and "Edit" the place that does not apply to you.  For example if you have active military pays, but none was earned overseas, "Edit" your MD interview, "Update" the "Income" section and blank out/zero the "Military Wages Earned Overseas" box when asked.  

If you are working in a desktop product then in the forms mode open the MD "Info Worksheet" and scroll to the "Military information" section. Box 1b(1) is an entry box that you can blank out to get rid of the deduction as well without an override.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies