Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K1 box 20 code T multiple entries T1 to T8

I got a K1 from Black Stone Minerals.  Following tt wizard for this, it only allows 1 entry for code T.  I saw another answer here indicating that you can add the numbers up to put in the 1 entry for code T unless they are different.  I'm not sure if I can from the details provided.  Following is what I got:

20T1 Sustained Depletion - Working Interests 35
20T2 Cost Depletion - Royalty Interests 35
20T3 % Depletion in excess of cost depletion - wokring interests 0

20T4 Sustained Depletion - Royalty Interests 253
20T5 Cost Depletion - Royalty Interests 253
20T6 % depletion in excess of cost depletion - Royalty Interests 0
20T7 % depletion in excess of Excess of basis 0
20T8 Net Equiv Barrels 23

With that info, can I just add up the dollar amounts, not the barrels, to put in the single entry in TT for code T?

If not, what should I put in there?  I looked at IRS pub 535 and it doesn't seem to list info regarding various T values.

Thanks for the help.  I'm thinking these amounts won't matter too much to my taxes but I was just curious on how to deal with this in the future in case I do invest in more mineral stocks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

All Box 20, Code T entries apply to depletion of oil & gas properties.

You are correct that they are unlikely to have any effect on your taxes (at the partner-level), but they must be reportedl at the partnership level.

Also, you can have as many Box 20, Code T entries as you want - just keep adding them and the interview screen will expand to allow the entries. You can't add descriptive info, as shown on your K-1, but you can list all of them.

See the attach screenshots as an example (albeit without numbers):

View solution in original post

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

TurboTax Premier should work just fine with this, as it is designed to handle investment reporting.

(I gave the example from TurboTax Self-Employed because that's what I had available for screen-shots, but TurboTax Premier handles K-1s just as well).

@pzmk5

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

All Box 20, Code T entries apply to depletion of oil & gas properties.

You are correct that they are unlikely to have any effect on your taxes (at the partner-level), but they must be reportedl at the partnership level.

Also, you can have as many Box 20, Code T entries as you want - just keep adding them and the interview screen will expand to allow the entries. You can't add descriptive info, as shown on your K-1, but you can list all of them.

See the attach screenshots as an example (albeit without numbers):

I'm using TT premier.  Not sure if it will let me do as you have shown.  Will give it a try this evening.  Thanks for your help.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

TurboTax Premier should work just fine with this, as it is designed to handle investment reporting.

(I gave the example from TurboTax Self-Employed because that's what I had available for screen-shots, but TurboTax Premier handles K-1s just as well).

@pzmk5

Roger that Todd.  Thanks for the help.  Not sure what it does with the info as it doesn't have any special verbiage other than 20T but it let me add each 'T' item. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies