Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-1 Form 1041 not computing/Box 14 issues. Not able to post in detail. Let me do that in a reply.

I am doing my elderly mother's taxes.  On a quarterly basis she receives income from the trust of my late step-fathers estate.
After I enter the figures from boxes 1 ($11.00),  2a ($9,671.00), 2b ($2,657.00),  4a ($533.00),  12 (reason A - $0) and  14 (reason B - $106.00 and E - $9,682.00),  I choose continue.  
Then I'm asked "enter the following detail about the foreign income reported on your K-1". After that it says "Foreign Country or U.S. Possession" and has a dropdown box showing a list of other countries.  I chose "not applicable" because K-1 form 1041 doesn't give that information
The next 3 fields ask for:
Gross Income Sourced at Beneficiary Level
Gross Income Sourced at Beneficiary Level: U.S. Source Income
Gross Income Sourced at Beneficiary Level: Foreign Source Income
I put zero in all three fields as, again, the 1041 form doesn't give such information.
I click CONTINUE
The next page asks "enter the category of income shown on box 14 of the schedule K-1 received from the ...trust"
There is a drop down box for choosing the income category.   The choices are:  
Passive Category
General Category
Foreign Branch Category
Lump Sum Distributions
Section 901(j) income
Inc. re-sourced by treaty
I have NO clue which to choose as, again, the 1041 form has no such information.
I chose "Passive Category" and clicked continue.
The next page asks to "enter the foreign tax information as shown on box 14 of the Schedule K-1"
It says  "Deductions Allocated and Apportioned at Beneficiary Level:"
Then it has fields labeled:
Interest Expense: Total
Interest Expense: U.S. Source
Interest Expense: Foreign Source
Other Deductions: Total
Other Deductions: U.S. Source
Other Deductions: Foreign Source
Again, I have no clue, so I put zeros in all the fields and clicked continue.
The next page asks "Enter the foreign tax information as shown on box 14 of the Schedule K-1"
Three fields are listed:
Total Applicable Taxes
Foreign Taxes Accrued
Reduction in Taxes Available For Credit

Again, I have no such information, have no clue, so I put zeros in all three fields and click continue
Now I get a page called Passive Loss Carryovers - wanting me to enter figures for "passive loss carryovers from 2018"
I enter zero in both fields - as I have no such information on the 1041 form.  I click continue.
The next page is "Qualified Business Income Carryovers".  Well this certainly has nothing to do with my late step-fathers trust. So I enter zero and click continue.
This takes me to the "Estates and Trusts K-1 Summary" page, where I click DONE.  Then CONTINUE.  I get a page asking if I received a Schedule Q.   I click NO.  This takes me to "Your 2019 Income Summary".
I scroll down to the Business Items section.  Next to the Schedule K-1 update button is the total figure and it shows $0.  The total my mother received in income from the trust is $9,682.  Turbotax clearly did not compute this correctly.
Please help me with this.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

K-1 Form 1041 not computing/Box 14 issues. Not able to post in detail. Let me do that in a reply.

@taxchallenged2 wrote:
I scroll down to the Business Items section.  Next to the Schedule K-1 update button is the total figure and it shows $0. 

That is typical because the figures you enter from your K-1 into the program are distributed throughout various forms and, thus, the figure next to the K-1 will be $0. For example, the interest and dividend income from the K-1 will appear on Schedule B.

Also, the foreign income would generally be passive and sourced at the beneficiary level since the beneficiary received the income (as a distribution).

Thank you.  That information finally seeped into my brain after I had posted this question.  After entering the K-1 information I looked back at the income summary and noticed the 1099-int and 1099-div numbers had increased considerably from the smaller amounts that had been input from other interest and dividends she had from other sources.

I had all the same issues and questions as user taxchallenged2, however, I question whether the income category for Box 14 is really "Passive". At the beginning of the K-1 sequence, TurboTax asks the user to "Enter amounts from boxes 1 and 2" and includes Boxes for Interest, Ordinary Dividends, and Qualified Dividends. When I click on the explanatory link for "boxes 1 and 2" it says that the portfolio income is NOT passive and I don't see why it would be different for the "A-Tax-exempt interest" and "B-Foreign taxes" Box 14 codes. Here is the full explanation TurboTax provides:

"Portfolio income is usually income from investments.

It might be from interest, dividends, royalties, a real estate investment trust, a regulated investment company, other fund/cooperatives income, or income from the disposition of property held for investment.

Portfolio income is taxable to each beneficiary to the extent this income is reported on your Schedule K-1 for estates or trusts.

Portfolio income and losses are not considered passive, and portfolio income cannot be used to offset passive losses."

The reason I have for questioning this is that TurboTax fills out Schedule E with the name of the Trust, but it doesn't include any income or figures beyond that, and all the dividend and other income is appearing properly under Schedule B, etc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies