Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is this "Prize" really business income?

I was just awarded a “prize” in a competition for food system innovations by an organization I will call NonPrfit Org. NonProfit Org calls this a “prize”, but the award came with many requirements that make it more like a contract or grant. I have a sole proprietorship focused on scientific research, writing, and consulting in the area of interest to NonProfit Org. The “Prize” is to be paid in two installments annually of $120,000, each. The conditions that are imposed along with the “prize” would seem to make it in reality a contract or grant, from which I should be able to deduct the expenses of carrying out the work they expect to be done. During the competition interview, they even asked me for an estimated budget for the work. My question is, can I report this as a business income and deduct the expenses of conducting the work they expect in return? Here are the conditions I had to agree to ahead of receiving the “prize”:

Applicant acknowledges and agrees that a further condition of being selected to receive the Prize: (i) Applicant will use commercially reasonable efforts to ensure that key Team Members attend  NonProfit Org conferences, meetings, and other public convenings; (ii) Applicant will permit at least one (1) annual on-site visit by  NonProfit Org staff, consultants, or other representatives to review Applicant’s ongoing work; (iii) Applicant will provide at least biannual updates on its use of the Prize funds and on  applicant’s work; (iv) Applicant will promptly respond to other requests for information from  NonProfit Org staff, consultants, and other representatives; (v) Applicant will be an active participant in the  NonProfit Org community, including without limitation offering support as needed to other  NonProfit Org award winners and partners; (vi) Applicant will identify itself as “supported by  NonProfit Org” in all relevant press releases and will include  NonProfit Org logos and other brand identifiers on certain mutually agreed communications collateral.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The form that you receive has absolutely nothing to do with how it is taxed.

Was the income closely related to your business income, and the expenses effectively attempted to increase your business income?  If so, yes, they are business income and deductions.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

On what IRS form was the grant amount?  1099-misc or NEC?

Thanks so much for your reply!! It is really appreciated. The award of the "prize" was just announced and the first payment will come in January 2023. I may be able to ask them to use either form - which would be better? 1099-misc or NEC (btw- what does NEC stand for?).  I'd like to be able to use as much of the "prize" money for the charitable project as possible. Thanks again.

1099 NEC  is Non Employee Compensation.   It was split off from form 1099Misc box 7.   

1099NEC & 1099Misc Instructions 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099mec.pdf 

1099NEC https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099nec.pdf 

1099Misc https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099msc.pdf 

NEC is non- employee compensation. You probably get a 1099-misc based on this information from the IRS:

File Form 1099-MISC for each person to whom you have paid during the year:

• At least $10 in royalties or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest.
  • At least $600 in:
    • Rents.
    • Prizes and awards.
    • Other income payments.
    • Medical and health care payments.
    • Crop insurance proceeds.
    • Cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) you purchase from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish.
    • Generally, the cash paid from a notional principal contract to an individual, partnership, or estate.
    • Payments to an attorney.
    • Any fishing boat proceeds.

In addition, use Form 1099-MISC to report that you made direct sales of at least $5,000 of consumer products to a buyer for resale anywhere other than a permanent retail establishment.

However you can still deduct any legitimate business expenses when you complete your Sch C. 

The form that you receive has absolutely nothing to do with how it is taxed.

Was the income closely related to your business income, and the expenses effectively attempted to increase your business income?  If so, yes, they are business income and deductions.

Thank you so much.   Your answer makes a lot of sense.  Yes, this is directly related to my business and the expenses will be for getting the work done.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies