turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

plull

Inadvertently chose Option B on Line 33 in Schedule C 'lower of Cost or market value' when I have always used Option A 'cost'. Will this be a problem? Should I amend?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Inadvertently chose Option B on Line 33 in Schedule C 'lower of Cost or market value' when I have always used Option A 'cost'. Will this be a problem? Should I amend?

I would amend your return to include a simple statement saying pretty much what you shared: 

"Inadvertently chose Option B on Line 33 in Schedule C 'lower of Cost or market value' when I have always used Option A 'cost'.  Amending return to reflect the Cost method."  Include a copy of your corrected Schedule C with the 1040X.

It is smart to be proactive about this as you need to use the same inventory valuation method from year to year.  You can change your method of valuing inventory, but then you need to file Form 3115, change in method of accounting.  The IRS may send a letter about your inventory accounting method change if you don't send an updated Schedule C.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I would amend your return to include a simple statement saying pretty much what you shared: 

"Inadvertently chose Option B on Line 33 in Schedule C 'lower of Cost or market value' when I have always used Option A 'cost'.  Amending return to reflect the Cost method."  Include a copy of your corrected Schedule C with the 1040X.

It is smart to be proactive about this as you need to use the same inventory valuation method from year to year.  You can change your method of valuing inventory, but then you need to file Form 3115, change in method of accounting.  The IRS may send a letter about your inventory accounting method change if you don't send an updated Schedule C.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies