turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bpatel

I have1099-Misc for part-time job. Entering it counts it as business income while it is not. Do I need to correct this before filing and do I need to file schedule C?

I have received a 1099-Misc from a previous employer where I only work once a week. I also have a w-2 for the same job for the time I was a full-time employee. When I enter 1099-Misc in TurboTax, it counts it as business income while I do not have a business and want to report it as wages. My tax documents show schedule 1, schedule 4, schedule C-EZ, schedule SE when I downloaded from TurboTax. Do I need to file all of them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have1099-Misc for part-time job. Entering it counts it as business income while it is not. Do I need to correct this before filing and do I need to file schedule C?

If your employer reported your income in box 7 of your 1099MISC it would be considered self-employment income and subject to self-employment tax (computed on Schedule SE) (which is based on amounts in  Schedule C). Schedule 1 and Schedule 4 are new schedules that have been introduced in 2018. These schedules represent some of the line items that used to represent some of the line items on previous years 1040. Schedule 1 and Schedule 4 include line items such as taxable refunds, business income, unemployment compensation, and self employment tax etc.

If as mentioned above, you have box 7 completed on your 1099MISC, you would need the corresponding schedules to compute the correct tax.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If your employer reported your income in box 7 of your 1099MISC it would be considered self-employment income and subject to self-employment tax (computed on Schedule SE) (which is based on amounts in  Schedule C). Schedule 1 and Schedule 4 are new schedules that have been introduced in 2018. These schedules represent some of the line items that used to represent some of the line items on previous years 1040. Schedule 1 and Schedule 4 include line items such as taxable refunds, business income, unemployment compensation, and self employment tax etc.

If as mentioned above, you have box 7 completed on your 1099MISC, you would need the corresponding schedules to compute the correct tax.

Thank you for the response! This is what I was looking for!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies