turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

magali19

Do I need to use turbotax self-employed? I have an LLC but I did no business in 2017. I have nothing to claim,no gains or losses. Can I file free 1040?

I only worked as an employee. I keep up with my annual reporting but I did no business as self-employees or contract. I only worked as an employee with a regular w-2.I am also a full time student. Can I just use the regular free turbotax federal tax file? and if so, can how do I report no changes on the 1040 since i used the self-employed version last year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to use turbotax self-employed? I have an LLC but I did no business in 2017. I have nothing to claim,no gains or losses. Can I file free 1040?

If you were a single member LLC and filed a schedule C in prior years you do not need to file if you have no income or losses. 

If you are not taking any education deductions then yes you can use TurboTax Free edition. To do this, when you are in the beginning questions asking if anything changed you will answer yes and note that you are no longer in business which will allow you to stay in the free version.  Do not click on pick up where I left off.  Also, if you already started on your return you may need to choose clear and start over under Tax Tools on the left-hand side of your screen to get the option to choose the free version. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you were a single member LLC and filed a schedule C in prior years you do not need to file if you have no income or losses. 

If you are not taking any education deductions then yes you can use TurboTax Free edition. To do this, when you are in the beginning questions asking if anything changed you will answer yes and note that you are no longer in business which will allow you to stay in the free version.  Do not click on pick up where I left off.  Also, if you already started on your return you may need to choose clear and start over under Tax Tools on the left-hand side of your screen to get the option to choose the free version. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
magali19

thank you  so much. Will my  information stile transferred over from previous years or will it ne wooed out and have to start over?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies