Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 4562 line 12: section 179 expense deduction. Line 11 is 0 but it will not accept line 12 as 0. Line 12 cannot be more than line 11. Anyone now how to fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Form 4562 line 12: section 179 expense deduction. Line 11 is 0 but it will not accept line 12 as 0. Line 12 cannot be more than line 11. Anyone now how to fix this?

I think the problem here is that you do not qualify for the 179, so you need to remove all 179 depreciations. This worked for me:

Click on the Review tab

When it takes you to the "Allocating Your Section 179 Deduction" screen, put 0s in the "Allowable Section 179 Deduction"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I think the problem here is that you do not qualify for the 179, so you need to remove all 179 depreciations. This worked for me:

Click on the Review tab

When it takes you to the "Allocating Your Section 179 Deduction" screen, put 0s in the "Allowable Section 179 Deduction"

bobfranz

If you do not actively participate in the business you do not qualify for the deduction. See Line 11 in the instructions for IRS Form 4562:
"The total cost you can deduct is limited
to your taxable income from the active
conduct of a trade or business during
the year. You are considered to actively
conduct a trade or business only if you
meaningfully participate in its
management or operations. A mere
passive investor is not considered to
actively conduct a trade or business."

What if you have a section 179 deduction carryforward from previous years?  TT shows this amount but no way to eliminate on the forms.  Any suggestions?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies