I need to change my business code. I do not have...

tyler-pritkin

I need to change my business code. I do not have the hyperlink to click to edit the business code on my schedule c business review page. should i contact TT support?

AnnetteB6

No, contacting support is not necessary.  

The business code is not really an important piece of information that necessarily needs to be accurate.  It is only used by the IRS for statistical purposes.

That being said, TurboTax will help determine what business code you should use based on the information that you have entered in the Work Description under General Info for your business.  As you edit and change the Work Description, the business code will change as well.

laurawlsonbarnes

Not being able to change this code is affecting other areas and I can't seem to get in touch with anyone. I never thought it would be an issue until this year. The correct isn't generating on the form, that's a problem. 

Irene2805

You can edit your business code by following these steps:

TurboTax CD/Download

In TurboTax Home & Business:

1. Click on the Business tab > Continue > I'll choose what to work on
  2. On the Let’s gather your business info screen, in the Business Income and Expenses section, click the Start/Update button. 
  3. If you have already started adding information about your business, you will see the Here's the business info we have so far screen.  Click on the Edit box next to the business.  
  4. You will now be on the Your [business description] Business screen.  In the Business Profile section, click on the Start/Update box.
  5.  On the Let's confirm your business info screen click on the Edit box next to Business Code. 
  6. On the next screen, Let's look up your business code, enter your business code.  If you don't know it, click on the Lookup Business Codes box to search for the correct code.  Click on the correct code and it will populate the box. 
  7. Click Continue when done.

TurboTax Online

TurboTax will automatically enter the business code for your business based on your work description.  To change this please follow these steps:

1. On the screen, Your income and expenses, click on the Start/Revisit box next to Self-Employment.  
  2. If you have already started entering information about your business, you will see a screen, Your 2020 self-employed work summary.  Click the Edit box next to your business name. 
  3. At the top of the Here's your XXX info screen, click the Edit box next to General Info.
  4. On the next screen, in the General Info section, click Edit below Work Description
  5. On the next screen, enter the type of work -- be as specific as possible.  Click Continue.  TurboTax will enter the new business code.

@laurawlsonbarnes

laurawlsonbarnes

Thank you for your help. I reached out to a representative and we couldn’t resolve the problem. We tried the same steps not too long ago. I entered all of the keywords I can think of. 

Thank you

JeffreyR77

You can Google the 'IRS Business Code' or 'NAICS Code' for your business and then enter that code in TurboTax.  You can access the Business code field on Schedule C in Forms Mode in Home and Business. 

laurawlsonbarnes

I tried the business code lookup. I don't think the Turbo Tax online version is allowing me to. Here's why...When I enter the exact description from NAICS it doesn't connect to the correct code. It populates a random code not connected to the information I entered. 

laurawlsonbarnes

Hi Irene, 

This maybe why I am having so much trouble. The online version maybe limited. I will check out the download instead and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks so  much. 

DawnC

What code number/NAICS description are you trying to get entered on the Schedule C?   Something else in the general information section (or somewhere else on your tax return) may be affecting which code TurboTax is using.  You mentioned above that it is affecting other areas of your return.  Can you provide a little more information on the other areas that are being affected as that may help.   And is this a new business Schedule C or did your business file a Schedule C in previous years (the Schedule C was transferred in from your 2019 return)? 

You can definitely choose your own code with the desktop software, in fact, you have to.   @laurawlsonbarnes

laurawlsonbarnes

Hi Dawn, 

The code I am trying to enter is 721199....When I enter "All Other Travelers Accommodations" under the type of business, I am unable to populate the correct naics code. After I enter the description, the following screen gives me options. If I select none of the above, code 999999 generates. The other options that populate doesn't match.  No matter how much , I try to enter the correct keywords, it doesn't populate. 

I've worked in this business since 2016, I haven't had any issues with the code being 99999 or any other related code. Previously, I didn't pay any mind to it, but this time my bank needs to see the correct code. 

Turbo Tax Download Question: If I purchase the download, do I still have to pay for filing my taxes? Or is that part of the package?

Thanks

Irene2805

Unfortunately, there is no way to select a specific business code in TurboTax Online.  You may want to switch to the CD/Download version of TurboTax.  

If you purchase the CD/Download version of TurboTax you can download your online tax file.  You only pay for the online file when you print or e-file the return.

You can purchase the product you need by going here:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

1. Select Buy Now under the product you are wanting to purchase.
  2. Select the type of operating system you have. If you prefer the CD there is an option under the types of operating system that you can select that says "I'd like to order a CD."
  3. It is going to take you to a TurboTax Advantage screen. If you would not like to sign up 

To download your 2020 tax file to the desktop version, please follow these steps:

1. While in your online return, click Tax Tools > Tools in the black bar on the left of your screen.
  2. In the Tools Center window, click Save your 2020 return to your computer.
  3. The file with automatically download.
  4. Your online return will be found in the Downloads folder on your computer.
  5. To open the return in TurboTax desktop edition, click on the Find a Tax File link on the opening screen and then navigate to the Downloads folder. 

@laurawlsonbarnes