Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

epidemiologist
Returning Member

I invested in a S-corporation that only had losses over 10 years. I'm wondering since the company is sold how to report my losses in Schedule D and/or Schedule E?

I'm wondering that since the company dissolved worthless if I should claim the initial investment loss or report the losses carried forward plus what's remaining from the initial investment? I invested in a S-corporation that never had gains and only losses over several years. I'm wondering when the company is sold and dissolved if I should claim the full investment loss initially or report the losses carried forward plus what's remaining from the initial investment? For example, if I invested $10,000 and losses carried forward added to $5,000 and the company is sold/dissolved worthless, should I report the full $10,000 loss or report $5,000 in my Schedule E and the remaining $5,000 as a long-term capital loss in Schedule D?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I invested in a S-corporation that only had losses over 10 years. I'm wondering since the company is sold how to report my losses in Schedule D and/or Schedule E?

If the S-Corp closed then you should have a final K-1 from them with the information needed to file the final return.  The basis of the investment was something you needed to keep track of if the K-1 form doesn't give you that information.  

I agree with @Critter-3 and, further, in your hypothetical you would have a $5,000 long-term capital loss coupled with a $5,000 passive loss carryover (assuming you have been keeping track). 

if the company's stock was sold as a stockholder you should have received some of the proceeds. if the assets were sold, then you should have gotten a k-1 reporting your pro rata share of items until the date of sale.

if it was dissolved and the assets were worthless then any remaining basis of the assets should have been written off and you should have been allocated your share. unless you paid more than the tax basis of your share of the net assets you would over the life of the corp have ordinary losses = to what you paid. 

the other question were you an active shareholder or a passive investor. as an active shareholder, you should have been allowed to deduct on your tax return the losses allocated to you each year up to your basis.

without a K-1 to support the additional $5,000 loss you incurred, that loss would go on schedule D  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies