Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kosmoboy1965
Returning Member

I have a home based business - do I still need to file corporation tax returns?

I've filed personal taxes to include my business (S-Corp) for several years.  I am being told that I should have been filing Corporate Taxes all this time.  This is the 1st time I've ever been told this. My accountant set my business up this way in 2004 when I became incorporated.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

seek out the assistance of a tax professional. In this situation I would suggest a tax attorney   each year starting with the year of formation a S-Corp return should have been filed.  the IRS could impose penalties for failure to file.that could exceed $2,000 per year.   (not sure how far back it can go)   also,  you didn't take a salary from the corp which is another tax issue that could result in more penalties.          do not contact your accountant until you speak to an advisor 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Oh you have a problem now.  You needed to be filing a separate 1120 S  Business return and then entering a K-1 into your personal return.  Not sure how to fix that.  Someone else will know.  Maybe you should go to a local accountant to get it straightened out.  You never got any letters from the IRS about filing the 1120 S return?
kosmoboy1965
Returning Member

I have two salon locations ... second location acquired in 2017 and we had a tax office do our taxes last year.  Again, it was never mentioned.  And - no - I've never received anything from the IRS regarding the filing of the 1120S .... argg
Anonymous
Not applicable

seek out the assistance of a tax professional. In this situation I would suggest a tax attorney   each year starting with the year of formation a S-Corp return should have been filed.  the IRS could impose penalties for failure to file.that could exceed $2,000 per year.   (not sure how far back it can go)   also,  you didn't take a salary from the corp which is another tax issue that could result in more penalties.          do not contact your accountant until you speak to an advisor 

kosmoboy1965
Returning Member

I have been paying myself ... I am a W-2 employee through the corporation set up as an officer?  I was incorporated in 2004.  Thanks for the advice, I will certainly look into this.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies