Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hedwigia

I have a carryover of state taxes paid in 2019 to 2020. It's supposed to go someplace on Schedule A. I can't access Schedule A directly. Where do I put it?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
GloriaL
Expert Alumni

I have a carryover of state taxes paid in 2019 to 2020. It's supposed to go someplace on Schedule A. I can't access Schedule A directly. Where do I put it?

To include your overpayment of prior year state taxes to your 2020 tax return:

1. Login your TurboTax account.
  2. With your return open, search for the term estimated tax payments.
  3. Select Jump to link.
  4. Choose start next to the type of estimated tax payment you’d like to enter. What you are looking for is under 2019 Refund Applied to 2020 state taxes.
  5. Enter the amount of estimated tax you paid at each of the quarterly due dates.

Once you follow the steps above it will appear on line 5a of the Schedule A.  Remember this deduction for taxes is limited to $10,000.

You will be receiving form 1099-G from your state that will need to be included on your 2020 tax return. To include this on your tax return, please refer to: TurboTax: Where do I enter 1099-G

hedwigia

Actually, this did not help. I needed to consult with two different online experts as to where this was supposed to go.

The answer turned out to be 

Wages & Income >> Sale of Business Property >> Nonrecaptured section 1231 losses 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies