Important: If your 1099-G shows an amount in Box 1, click or tap here for alternate instructions, as the steps below won't work.
Otherwise, if your 1099-G has amounts in Box 2, follow these instructions:
- With your return open in TurboTax, search for 1099–G (don't forget the dash!) and then select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.
- This will take you to Did you have any of these types of income? Answer Yes.
- On the following screen, check the first box State or local income tax refunds and continue.
- Answer Yes to Did you get a state or local tax refund?
You should end up on the Tell us about your refund screen. Below are some tips for filling out the entry fields on this screen.
- Select your state, city, or locality from the list (cities and localities are towards the bottom, after Wyoming).
- Additional states or localities are entered separately. After you finish this 1099-G, you'll have an opportunity to add another one.
Enter the amount in Box 2 (State or local income tax refunds, credits, or offsets).
If you received multiple 1099-Gs for the same state or locality, both with the same tax year in Box 3, enter the Box 2 sum.
For example, you received two 1099-Gs from Colorado. They both have 2017 in Box 3, and their Box 2 amounts are $1,000 and $800 respectively. You'd enter $1,800 in Total refund received in 2018.
However, if the 1099-Gs showed different tax years in Box 2, or they came from different states or localities, enter each one separately. After you finish entering this one, you'll come to the State and Local Tax Refund Summary screen, where you can enter the second one.
- Enter the total taxes you paid to the state or locality for the same tax year as the refund (this includes withholdings as well as estimated tax and other payments).
- You can get this amount from your state or local tax return for the tax year of the refund. Look for a line near the bottom, often bolded, that includes the phrase total payments (for example, "Total payments and refundable credits," "These are your total payments," or similar wording).
This corresponds to Box 3 of your 1099-G. By default, the prior year is selected, but you can select earlier years from the drop-down.
After you finish entering this 1099-G, you'll come to the State and Local Tax Refund Summary screen, where you can enter another one if needed.