Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nathan2

I have a c-corp that's the sole member of a subsidiary LLC. Would tax returns be consolidated under the C-Corp or would I file 2 separate returns? Can I use Turbotax?

I'm basically wondering if I can use Turbotax to file returns for my C-Corp and subsidiary LLC of which the C-Corp is the sole member.  If I can, how can that be accomplished using Turbotax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a c-corp that's the sole member of a subsidiary LLC. Would tax returns be consolidated under the C-Corp or would I file 2 separate returns? Can I use Turbotax?

Definitely.  You only file a single C corporation tax return.

Since the C corporation is the sole owner of the LLC, the LLC is considered a disregarded entity.  In this context, the LLC is now treated as if it were a division of the C corporation.

Treating this as a division is different than if it were a subsidiary.  If this were a subsidiary, the C corporation would be eligible to file a consolidated tax return.  A division is just included in the C corporation activity and no consolidated return is filed.

Hopefully the above is clear and you understand the difference between the division filing and a consolidated return filing.  Division filing is one single tax return.  A consolidated return filing is multiple company returns that get pulled into one single consolidated tax return.  The consolidated tax return filing is much more complicated.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I highly recommend you seek professional assistance to get educated in how the returns need to be filed and see what state rules also apply.   Once you know how it needs to be completed the Turbo Tax program may be an option.

TT Business will not run on a Mac.

Definitely.  You only file a single C corporation tax return.

Since the C corporation is the sole owner of the LLC, the LLC is considered a disregarded entity.  In this context, the LLC is now treated as if it were a division of the C corporation.

Treating this as a division is different than if it were a subsidiary.  If this were a subsidiary, the C corporation would be eligible to file a consolidated tax return.  A division is just included in the C corporation activity and no consolidated return is filed.

Hopefully the above is clear and you understand the difference between the division filing and a consolidated return filing.  Division filing is one single tax return.  A consolidated return filing is multiple company returns that get pulled into one single consolidated tax return.  The consolidated tax return filing is much more complicated.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies