jemillard

I filed a final 1041 for my parent's estate using Turbo Tax for Business. It showed a refund due. A few weeks later I got a 1040-V packet from the IRS. Can I ignore it?

tagteam

Are you certain a refund was due on your 1041? Did you also file a final 1040?

Was there withholding or was an estimated payment made?

What else (documentation) was included with the voucher? If you made a typo and you meant to write "1041-V", then you might be able to simply ignore the packet if estimated payments are not required to be made in this case.

See https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1041es.pdf

ScruffyCurmudgeon

In 2020 for 2019 Tax Year, it was very obvious that the IRS processing of Form 1041 and any subsequent ancillary action or filings, such as Form 4506-T Transcript request, has been terribly slow and often erroneous.  I would suggest that if your filing of the terminal (Final) Form 1041 for your parent was then not followed by any received income in the name of the deceased parent, then it is unlikely that the explanation letter from the IRS that should have been accompanying the Voucher deals with any current taxable income.  Does the Voucher refer to the already filed 2019 (presumably) Form 1041?  Note that the IRS still has not processed a considerable number of filed Forms 1040 as well.

For a better and more direct answer, please provide the relevant text of the IRS letter accompanying the Voucher request.

Scruffy Curmudgeon---PFFM, IAFF, Locals 718 & 30, retired firefighter/medic; university faculty - NOT AN INTUIT EMPLOYEE

Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, Locals 718/30, retired firefighter/medic; univ faculty NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
- Strategy & Quantitative Methods Med-M&M, Law discriminatory statistics, Med & PH - epidemiology statistics;
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3
-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------No Not an Intuit Employee - Just donating my time