turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RicM
Level 1

How to enter a MLP Merger

MLP A merged into MLP B. I received a final K-1 for MLP A. I received a K-1 for MLP B

How do I handle the MLP A Entries?

The MLP ends in 2023

What do I enter to describe the partnership disposal? No entry or not via sale?

How are the passive losses transferred to MLP B? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

@RicM It depends.  If the merger was a taxable event, you'd think about it (and enter it) as though you did the transaction in two steps:  1) a complete disposition of MLP A where the sale price was whatever the value of MLP B was on that day and 2) a purchase of shares of MLP B.

If it wasn't taxable, then for MLP A you'd select 'The Partnership Ended' and 'Disposition was not via a sale'.  This will mean that all the suspended losses from MLP A will remain suspended.  You'd enter the MLP B K-1 as normal.  TT doesn't do anything to merge the suspended losses from A & B, but you can handle that next year.

NEXT YEAR, when you're filling out the K-1 for MLP B, you'll get to the screen that asks about suspended losses from prior years.  TT will grab the losses from MLP B, but you can change those numbers to be the sum of MLP A & B.  Then just delete the MLP A K-1 that TT created.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!
RicM
Level 1

Thank you! It was a non-taxable event. Thats how I had entered it in TurboTax but was unsure if I wanted to move the suspended losses this year or next. Thanks again. 

RicM
Level 1

A question. Would you enter the dates for purchase and sales on that page? I tried both entering the date or leaving it blank and it seems to come out the same. 

@RicM It won't matter.  The dates in the K-1 section only apply if you're having the K-1 interview generate Cap Gains (which you're not) and it has to know holding period.

**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.

Hi Nexchap.  One other question on MLP non-taxable merger.  When MLP A (CEQP) merges into MLP B (ET), what happens to the cost basis for MLP A?  Does it also have to be carried forward (separate record only) and combined with cost basis for MLP B when MLP B is eventually sold?

Or does the cost basis for MLP A get figured into the cost basis for MLP B when the K1 is issued for the first time after merger?

@PSmith1260 Your basis in the new merged entity is just the sum of your basis in the 2 previous entities.  Note that TT doesn't track basis, so that's just something you'd use your own records to monitor.

RicM
Level 1

This is my take. The cost basis for the ET shares received should be the same as the cost of the CEQP shares converted. When the broker sells ET shares, he will use FIFO. If you liquidate all, it is the sum. If partial, you will need to keep up with what goes out. Broker will have an unknown cost basis reported. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies