turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bertsusan

In 2015 had loss. Elected under section 172 b 3 to relinquish the entire carryback period for any 2015 NOL. Can I still carryforward loss in future years?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In 2015 had loss. Elected under section 172 b 3 to relinquish the entire carryback period for any 2015 NOL. Can I still carryforward loss in future years?

"Can I still carryforward loss in future years?"

Yes. Since you waived the carryback period, you can carryover your net operating loss to each of the 20 taxable years following the taxable year of the loss. See I.R.C. §172(b)(1)(a)(ii)

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Jaime1

do you know how to carry forward the it in 2016 in TurboTax?

"Can I still carryforward loss in future years?"

Yes. Since you waived the carryback period, you can carryover your net operating loss to each of the 20 taxable years following the taxable year of the loss. See I.R.C. §172(b)(1)(a)(ii)

Jaime1

I waived the carryback in 2015  (Elected under section 172 b 3), how should I carryforward in 2016 in Turbotax?
Jaime1

Sorry, I am very new to this pleac, do not know where to ask questions yet.

" how should I carryforward in 2016 in Turbotax?"

Following the steps in the screenshot below (click to enlarge) should bring you to the proper screen for entry of an NOL.

Jaime1

Tagteam, It is very help ful. thank you so much for your response. Can I ask you a follow-up question: it seems that TurboTax do not calculate the allowable amount, any way to find out the allowable NOL, or I can just enter the amount listed on 2015 Form line 37, "Subtract line 36 from line 22. This is your adjusted gross income". Thanks
Jaime1

Tagteam, thank you very much. Someone from Turbotax helped me on how to find the amount. So I am good now. Thanks again

You are most welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies