Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aparicios

How much of my flight can I deduct for business expense

I have two rental properties I purchased in 2017 in Spain--they are an hour apart. My wife and I went for a couple of weeks over the summer (both on title). During that time I spent some time inspecting work that had been done on one of the properties (including fixing some of the work!)  met with the rental agency and the company that manages the building.

I also spent some time in the other apartment. I met with the realtor and separately accountant, lawyer about prepping the apt for rent, strategy etc. I toured other apts. to get a sense for the market price. 

In all out of the 22 calendar days we were there, we probably spent 5-6 ish days where there was something we were doing to set the apartments up for rental. 

I don't really want to track food, ect. But can I allocate some of the flight expense and rental car (to get to one of the apartments) as an expense? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, You can claim these expenses as deductions to your rental income. 

Your allocation must be related to the time you spent on the rental properties. I suggest you claim 25% of the flight and rental car expenses. If you only used your rental car to travel between the properties, I would suggest claiming 100% of this expense. This will lead to an accurate allocation of the business travel expenses. 

For more information, follow this link:  IRS on Rental Property

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, You can claim these expenses as deductions to your rental income. 

Your allocation must be related to the time you spent on the rental properties. I suggest you claim 25% of the flight and rental car expenses. If you only used your rental car to travel between the properties, I would suggest claiming 100% of this expense. This will lead to an accurate allocation of the business travel expenses. 

For more information, follow this link:  IRS on Rental Property

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies