Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do you complete for 8836

How is the amount I paid for educational expenses taken into consideration with this form?  Is it posted on this form someplace?  If so, where?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Form 8836 is for proof of residency only. It has nothing to do with proof of income of any type from any source.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There used to be a Form 8836 for certifying the residency of children used for the Earned Income Credit (EIC). That form has not been used since 2005. Since you are asking about education expenses, I assume you meant to say Form 8863, which is for claiming education credits.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I assume you mean Form 8863. When you enter your education expenses in the Education and Scholarships section of TurboTax, TurboTax will fill out Form 8863 correctly for you.

If you are claiming the Lifetime Learning Credit, the amount of your expenses will appear on Form 8863 line 10. If you are claiming the American Opportunity Credit, the actual amount of your expenses might not appear anywhere on the form, because a maximum of $4,000 can be claimed for each student. If a student's expenses are more than $4,000, only the $4,000 that is allowed will appear on the form. The amount of expenses, but not more than $4,000, will appear on line 27 on page 2. There is a separate page 2 for each student.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies