Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I input a 1099NEC without Turbo Tax automatically creating a Schedule C. I do not want or need to file a Schedule C, and Turbotax is automatically generating one.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I input a 1099NEC without Turbo Tax automatically creating a Schedule C. I do not want or need to file a Schedule C, and Turbotax is automatically generating one.

In my opinion, it still goes on Schedule C.

You worked for a former employer, so it seems like your 1099 work was similar to your 'usual' type of work.  That puts it as a business on Schedule C.

If you were doing some short-term work completely unrelated to your 'usual' type of work, you are right, it MIGHT be "other income".

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

A 1099-NEC is ONLY for self-employed income. There is no other way to report it in TurboTax. 

If the payment was for something OTHER THAN self-employment, you should have been issued a 1099-MISC.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why did you get a 1099NEC?  It should be only for self employment income.  Sorry you have to fill out Schedule C and pay self employment tax on it.

You can enter Self Employment Income into Online Deluxe or Premier but if you have any expenses you will have to upgrade to the Self Employed version or use any of the Desktop CD/Download programs.

How to enter income from Self Employment

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

The IRS FAQ says I don't have to file a schedule C if I don't have business.  I just did a little work for a former employer.  I have no expenses.  From the IRS website: 

In my opinion, it still goes on Schedule C.

You worked for a former employer, so it seems like your 1099 work was similar to your 'usual' type of work.  That puts it as a business on Schedule C.

If you were doing some short-term work completely unrelated to your 'usual' type of work, you are right, it MIGHT be "other income".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies