turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file my Business taxes early for tax year 2020?

I recently used TurboTax business for filing my business' 2019 taxes, but I'm not finding how I can do the same for my tax year 2020 business taxes. I will be dissolving the business this month (July) and would like to wrap things up with the IRS (hence 2020 is the last filing year). We have been inactive all of 2020, so we have no income, expenses or assets.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Once you have paid all bills and made all liquidating distributions to the owners (you don't indicate the entity structure type) you will need to file a final return.  This date depends on the entity type; so it is either the 15th day of the 3rd month or 4th month.

Since your final return is due before any 2020 returns have been finalized, you have a couple of options:

1. You can request an extension for the filing of the final return and complete it when the forms are complete.
  2. Typically what is done in these situations is you file a paper return.  So in your situation you would complete the 2019 return for your final 2020 activity.  However, you would cross out all 2019 dates on the forms and write in 2020. 

Make sure you contact your Secretary of State to complete any final documents.  This is not the same as filing the final state income tax return (assuming there is a filing requirement for your particular state).

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The 2020 tax software has not yet been created. It is typically released in the late fall, but final forms are often not in the program until January or February, based on when the IRS releases them. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Once you have paid all bills and made all liquidating distributions to the owners (you don't indicate the entity structure type) you will need to file a final return.  This date depends on the entity type; so it is either the 15th day of the 3rd month or 4th month.

Since your final return is due before any 2020 returns have been finalized, you have a couple of options:

1. You can request an extension for the filing of the final return and complete it when the forms are complete.
  2. Typically what is done in these situations is you file a paper return.  So in your situation you would complete the 2019 return for your final 2020 activity.  However, you would cross out all 2019 dates on the forms and write in 2020. 

Make sure you contact your Secretary of State to complete any final documents.  This is not the same as filing the final state income tax return (assuming there is a filing requirement for your particular state).

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

If you will need to file the 2020 return prior to the 2020 program becoming operational next February you CAN use the 2019 program you already have however you MUST start a new return ... you will NOT be able to transfer the 2019 info AND you will not be able to efile it ... it must be mailed in.

Thanks! Very helpful.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies