turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I claim the remaining 12.5 yrs of amortized startup costs after my S Corporation is dissolved?

I incorporated a small business in Jun 2014.  It only lasted 2 years and was dissolved in Jun 2016.  I have been amortizing the startup costs over 15 years.  Turbotax calculated only 6 months of amortization for 2016 (makes sense).  However, can I claim the remaining 13 years of amortized start up costs?  They are indeed a "loss" to the business.  How do I do it even though the corporation is dissolved?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
GeoffreyG

How can I claim the remaining 12.5 yrs of amortized startup costs after my S Corporation is dissolved?

We're sorry to hear about your business; but the tax treatment of your question is fairly straightforward.

In organizing your S-Corporation, you evidently "capitalized" your start-up costs under Sections 195 and 248 (of the Internal Revenue Code), and were dutifully amortizing them (functionally equivalent to straight-line depreciation) over the prescribed 15-year period.  That is the correct process to follow.

It is also correct, then, upon dissolution of your company, that any remaining unamortized intangibles (such as start-up costs), are considered "capital losses" to the business.  As an S-Corporation, a type of flow-through tax entity, that capital loss will then pass along to the S-Corporation owners, and they can then ultimately utilize that capital loss on their own tax return(s).

To be highly specific, take the unamortized amount as a long-term capital loss on Form 1120S, Schedule D.  That will then transfer over to Form 1120S, Schedule K, Line 8a.  This, in turn, will flow onto the individual shareholders' Schedule K-1s (or all of it to you, if you're the 100% stockholder).  In reporting the capital loss, use the remaining unamortized amount as the cost basis, and input the sale price as zero.  You can also type in a brief description on the tax return line identifying what this item is, so the IRS will be able to identify the nature of the reported loss.

Thanks for asking this important question.

swhsu88

the remaining unamortized amount is a lot more than gain, and it causes gross income to be negative, is there any way to distribute the loss?
rgaushell

How does this work for an LLC?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies