Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How are expenses that are paid by only one partner reported in a partnership with two 50/50 partners?

My brother and I have a 50/50 partnership for our farm. We have substantial losses for the last several years. We needed to replace some equipment and the partnership did not have the funds to pay for it so I purchased the equipment out of my pocket for use on the farm. Can I deduct the expense on my personal taxes since I paid for it all, or does it get reported on the partnership return and the expense is split between us?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How are expenses that are paid by only one partner reported in a partnership with two 50/50 partners?

If these are the kind of questions you have then you really need a local tax professional to educate you on a partnership return so you get it correct ... but basically the partnership gets the deduction and the partner who paid gets an increase in their basis so that the loss can be more deductible for that partner.  

Ok, thank you. My brother has always handled the taxes but he had a stroke this year and isn't able to do it. I was just unsure since the equipment still belongs to me, we just use it on the farm.

Seek local guidance to understand the bookkeeping and income tax filings ... a few dollars of education will save hundreds later if you do things incorrectly.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies