turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shircath

How do I delete a Section 179 expense deduction disallowed. I closed the business in 2018 and I keep getting a "Check This Entry"

I'm getting a "Carryover Worksheet: Line 24 (1st col) - The total Section 179 carryover shown here does not match the sum of the Section 179 carryovers.... correct...."  Tax Help doesn't have an answer for this.  The "Section 179 expense deduction disallowed" was for previous years and I closed the business in 2018.  What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

How do I delete a Section 179 expense deduction disallowed. I closed the business in 2018 and I keep getting a "Check This Entry"

Here's how to delete a Business and related forms:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300011

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having this issue now in the 2023 llc software. How do i delete the disallowed carryover and take the remaining carryover in the 2023 year. I closed business in November 2023

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Sec 179 is writing off depreciation before it happens. If you have closed the business, you  have to recapture that write-off that exceeds the business time period. The disallowed carryover reduces the amount to reclaim.

See:

IRS Depreciation & Recapture

How to enter depreciation recapture in TurboTax

@mrsthompson4 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I see the issue. I did sec 179 but was on able to use $2k of it due to income the remainder carried forward and was never used…so actually only used 2 the rest was disallowed and carried forward to future years in hopes  that it had income to use it

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies