turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dullej

Filing LLC partnership

I normally file my personal taxes using TurboTax premiere/deluxe.  This year I started a business with a friend and we formed an LLC Partnership.  I need to file form 1065 I read this can be done through TurboTax business. Do I need to file the LLC separately using turbotax business and my personal taxes using Turbotax premiere/deluxe or can I combine my two filings into one?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Filing LLC partnership

Yes to your question.

The "BUSINESS" product is a separate software desktop product from the "Home&Business" or any other versions of the Personal product.  Note that the Business product is limited to a Windows version 7 or new desktop configuration.

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
dullej

Filing LLC partnership

Wow thanks for such a quick answer.  So I need to buy the disk to file Home&Business? I can't use the online portal like I normally do?

Filing LLC partnership

The answer is actually NO.  You have to use two separate programs.  You need Business to do the partnership return.  It will not do your personal return.

Filing LLC partnership

Yes to his question:  "Do I need to file the LLC separately using turbotax business and my personal taxes using Turbotax premiere/deluxe?"

Please also read that I wrote: ""BUSINESS" product is a separate software desktop product from the "Home&Business" or any other versions of the Personal product."
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

Filing LLC partnership

He asked it two different ways in the same question.  And judging by his reply back it didn't sound like he understood it.

Filing LLC partnership

To prepare a 1065 or separate business return you need to use Turbo Tax Business (not to be confused with Home & Business).

You have to buy Turbo Tax Business as a Desktop CD/Download program and install it on your computer.  You do not need the Home & Business version.  You can buy Business here,  https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

You can use Premier for your personal return.  You can use either the Online Premier or the Desktop Premier.

Filing LLC partnership

Just to be clear, I wrote: ""BUSINESS" product is a separate software desktop product from the "Home&Business" or any other versions of the Personal product."  and "Yes" to your question "Do I need to file the LLC separately using turbotax business and my personal taxes using Turbotax premiere/deluxe?"

As for where to purchase, I would recommend NOT purchasing from that link as posted as that will be the most expensive retail.  In the second week of January, Intuit typically reduces prices across the board for a short time, but the best price for BUSINESS will be found online or in Costco - Costco has always had the best price and then their January coupons  just published $15 off their prices for all versions both Personal and Business-  see image.  The personal product you could use any version of desktop from Deluxe through Home&Business, or, and I don't recommend it, you could use the online but likely have to purchase the more expensive version - frankly they've changed the online market this year, and it is difficult to figure out which version to use.

I've posted images of the current Costco displays that include a state program also.  Again, in several weeks, Costco has historically provided a coupon - this year $15 off coupon off these prices.  All these versions shown in the images provide BOTH Federal and State programs - as you have to be careful because some stores sell without the state program!

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE

- Just donating my time
dullej

Filing LLC partnership

Ok, thanks for clarifying.  The Home&Business is a lot cheaper then the Business version.  I just need to file a 1065 can that be done through the Home&Business version or does it require the Business version?

Filing LLC partnership

NO!!!!!  Form 1065 MUST be done using the BUSINESS!!!!

H&B is a misnomer that Intuit has never improved.  It only provides for a Sole Proprietor Schedule C and SE  (LLCs for married couples in community property states can take advantage here!)

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE

- Just donating my time
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies