Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Didn't get a 1099-NEC

I did not receive a 1099-NEC from a company that declared bankruptcy, apparently it was the totally kaput type.  I can’t reach anyone at the company to get help.  It is possible they filed it electronically with the IRS, but I have no way of knowing.  I have all of their information, including their EIN, which makes me wonder if I should file as if I got a 1099-NEC?  I know the exact amount so that isn’t an issue. My only other option is to put it on line 1a of my schedule C.   Suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Didn't get a 1099-NEC

As long as you report the total amount of income, the IRS will be happy. You don't have to enter the 1099-NEC at all. The breakdown of lines 1a - 1f on Schedule C is only internal in TurboTax. All the IRS sees is the total gross receipts on line 1g, which is just line 1 on the actual Schedule C.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Didn't get a 1099-NEC

As long as you report the total amount of income, the IRS will be happy. You don't have to enter the 1099-NEC at all. The breakdown of lines 1a - 1f on Schedule C is only internal in TurboTax. All the IRS sees is the total gross receipts on line 1g, which is just line 1 on the actual Schedule C.

Didn't get a 1099-NEC

Awesome, thanks.

Didn't get a 1099-NEC

Actually you can just enter it as Other self employment income or as Cash or General income.  You should be keeping your own records.  You don't need to get a 1099NEC or 1099Misc or 1099K.  Even if you did you can enter all your income as Cash.  Only the total goes to schedule C.

How to enter income from Self Employment

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

Didn't get a 1099-NEC

I know how to enter my income on a schedule C, that I have been doing for many years.  I just wasn't sure if I entered income on line 1a, and then the IRS received a 1099-NEC, if that might cause confusion.   RJS cleared that up for me.  I am good to go. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies