Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

caligirl1

definition of medical expense differs between IRS and HSA causing state reporting problem

There are differences between what the IRS and HSA plans consider to be eligible medical expenses, for example the HSA rules allow for over the counter drug items without a prescription but the IRS does not.  The IRS accepts medicare supplement insurance (ie Medigap) but the HSA does not.  There are other differences.

On the federal return I understand that I can make adjustments to the reported deduction amounts to fix this.  However I am having problem with the state return (in my case California) because California does not allow a deduction for HSA contributions and therefore I should be able to report my total medical expenses without a reduction for HSA distributions.  Turbotax brings over my reported medical expenses reduced by the HSA distributions, but I need to report the total amount of IRS accepted medical expense.  How do I do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

definition of medical expense differs between IRS and HSA causing state reporting problem

Would you be able to send me a diagnostic copy of your return so we can further investigate this issue?  You can do this by taking the following steps:

TurboTax Online

Tools

Tax Tools

Share My File with Agent

then note the token number and respond to me with the number

TurboTax Desktop

Send Tax File to Agent

Send

Then respond with the token number to this message

The diagnostic copy does not include any of your personal info, it just includes numbers and forms so we can help solve the issue. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

We recreated a tax return with this scenario and tested it. The HSA payments are handled on the CA Schedule CA, and are allowed on the state return even though not allowed on the federal.

If you still have an issue, please send us a diagnostic copy of your return.

@caligirl1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies