Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cost of purchase

Hello. Small business question (just starting out). 

I just started my small business--What if I bought many items on sale (candle vessels) that go into making my product--but these items won't be on sale in the future so I need to save a higher amount from sales in order to repurchase the items in the future (in order to make my products again). Will I be taxed on income I made from the sale that is extra than it would have been if I didn't buy cost of purchase on sale? is there a way to account for this as my net income isn't higher since I will be saving the amount I need to purchase the vessels at the higher price next time I need to purchase inventory? I feel so lost! I would appreciate any helpful answers 🙂 Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

cost of purchase

I'm sorry I didn't follow that.  You enter your total income each year and enter your actual expenses.  You either have a Net Profit or Loss.  

Carl
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

cost of purchase

You have conflicting statements and I really can't make heads or tails out of precicely where you may be confused or what it is you don't understand. In the hopes of saving time, perhaps this will help.

Beginning of Year (BOY) Inventory Balance - This is what 'YOU" paid for the inventory in your physical possession on Jan 1 of the tax year. it does not matter in what year you paid for it either. Note that in your first year of business or first year of dealing with inventory, the BOY Inventory Balance *MUST* be zero, with no exceptions. This is because your BOY Inventory balance must match your prior year's End of Year (EOY) Inventory balance. If this is your first year dealing with this, then the only possible way for these two to match, is if the BOY Inventory balance is ZERO. There are no exceptions.

End of Year (EOY) Inventory Balance - This is what *YOU* paid for the inventory in your physical possession on Dec 31 of the tax year. It does not matter what tax year you paid for it.

Cost of Purchases - What 'YOU" paid for inventory you actually purchased during the tax year. (do not include costs for those things in other categories here)

Purchases withdrawn for personal use - What "YOU" Paid for inventory you pulled from your salable inventory for your personal use.

Labor Costs - What "you" paid for the labor to manufacture the product you sold. Typically this will be zero because if you have employees, you've already reported what you paid those employees as such, on their W-2 forms. If you paid a 3rd party contractor to manufacture the product, then you've already reported what you paid that contractor on a 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC if applicable. (The point is, you can't claim your labor costs twice.)

Materials & Supplies - What "YOU" paid for those items that may or may not become "a material part of" the product you sell. These items may or may not be "consumed" during the manufacturing process. For example, sand paper, jigsaw blades and the such are "consumed" during the manufacturing process and do not become a material part of the product you sell. Whereas nails do become a part of the product you sell. But trying to figure and enter the cost per nail and keeping track of the number of nails used on a product is just a PITA. So if you purchased 6 boxes of nails to build 50 items and only used 5 1/2 boxes, you include here what you paid for the full 6 boxes. Just don't claim that 1/2 box again next year. Typically you'll enter zero here, as it's more common for materials and supply costs to be included in the Business Expenses section outside of the inventory section.

Other Costs to prepare for sales - This would be things like boxes, packing materials, shipping costs, etc. But again, it's more typical for these costs to be claimed in the Business Expenses section outside of the Inventory section.

Example:

Year 1

BOY Inventory Balance - $0

Cost of Purchases - $5000 ($2000 of this is what you already had prior to starting your business)

EOY Inventory - $2500

The above indicates you started the tax year with no inventory, purchased $5000 of inventory during the tax year, and ended the tax year with $2500 of inventory. The program will “do the math” and “know” that you sold $2500 of that inventory. That $2500 will be deductible from your gross business income for that tax year and will not be taxed.

Year 2

BOY Inventory Balance - $2500 (Take note this matches exactly the year 1 EOY balance)

Cost of Purchases - $5000

EOY Inventory Balance - $1500

The above indicates you started the tax year with $2500 of inventory. Then during the tax year you purchased an additional $5000 of inventory and ended the tax year with $1500 of inventory. The program will “do the math” and “know” that you sold $6000 of that inventory during the tax year. That $6000 will be deducted from your gross business income for the tax year and will not be taxed.

cost of purchase

Thank you! This is very helpful and it is clear I have a lot of learning to do! I appreciate your insightful reply. 

Carl
Level 15

cost of purchase

The COGS section is easy to understand once you figure it out. It's the "figuring it out" part that can be challenging. But once you "get it", then you've "got it".

cost of purchase

Thank you. It feels overwhelming but I appreciate the encouragement! 

Carl
Level 15

cost of purchase

The basic thing to be aware of an understand, is that you can't deduct the cost of what you paid for inventory, until the tax year you sell that inventory. Doesn't matter what year you may have purchased the inventory.

cost of purchase

Thank you. Does this include packaging (boxes, I add instructions to the product) and shipping materials and boxes? 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

cost of purchase

According to the IRS in the following publication, "Containers and packages that are an integral part of the product manufactured are a part of your cost of goods sold. If they are not an integral part of the manufactured product, their costs are shipping or selling expenses".

However if you have packaging costs for shipping your merchandise, like shipping boxes and bubble wrap, tape, etc, that is part of shipping costs and not considered cost of goods sold.

@melody32 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

cost of purchase

Thanks! I bought the materials two years ago (shipping boxes and materials)—so am I unable to deduct those because they are more than a year? 

cost of purchase

You pay what you pay. 

If this month, you spend $1000 on materials that you use to make finished items that you sell for $2000, you have $1000 of profit.  If next month, the materials are not on sale and you spend $1500 for the same materials, and sell the same finished items for $2000, you make a $500 profit.  

You don't adjust your taxes for the fact that materials change cost.  You pay what you pay.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies