Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Closing Sole Proprietorship question

If I stopped actively participating in business at the end of  April, but received some customer payments in May for April's work, do I report that the business was closed at end of April or after last payment received in May?  Also, because of those payments received in May, can I still offset them with deductions in May such as insurance payments for May coverage?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

A Sch C is reported on the tax return and reports ALL income and expenses incurred during the year period.  When you "closed"  the  business is immaterial to  a Sch C. 

Carl
Level 15

When you "closed" the business is immaterial to a Sch C

True. But not always clear depending on a few factors.  For example, does the businses have assets that are being depreciated? Was any vehicle use claimed in the business, even if less than 100% business use?

If yes to the above, and lets say you stopped your business in April.  You could remove all business assets from the business by indicating they were converted to personal use in April. That stops depreciation.Then show removal of the vehicle from the business the same way by converting it to personal use in April. The business can remain "open" for the rest of the year so that payments received after you stopped the business can be correctly reported on SCH C. Just be aware that this means you would need to keep the business banking account(s) open of course until all outstanding debts and invoices were settled, which is fine.

I appreciate your answer.  Do you know if I have to stop claiming self-employed health insurance deductions the month that physical work was stopped or can I continue deducting as long as I am receiving payments in May for April?

Carl
Level 15

Do you know if I have to stop claiming self-employed health insurance deductions the month that physical work was stopped

Wouldn't really know. But I would expect it to be deductible so long as the business remains open while you're waiting for the other financials to clear.. I would suggest you wait for someone more knowledgeable on this aspect though.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies