Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cannot e-file Schedule C

I Have TurboTax Deluxe for PC.  When trying to e-file my 2023 return, I get an error message that certain forms cannot be e-filed. I determined that the problem is Schedule C. I deleted the Schedule C and the program will allow an e-file. When I add back the Schedule C I get the error message again. I tried inputting Schedule C with income only and no expenses or business credit and still get the error message. When I again remove Schedule C the error message goes away and I can e-file. I realize that the IRS is not accepting returns until January 29th, but I wanted to resolve this issue early. I also noted that none of the forms associated with my Schedule are unavailable. This appears to be a coding issue with TurboTax for the 2023 filing. Has anyone else had this issue and are you aware if there will be an update forthcoming?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Cannot e-file Schedule C

You can not enter business expenses if you are using TurboTax Deluxe.  TurboTax Self-employed will handle unlimited expenses and deductions.

Try selecting Review to see if you are missing some forms that are required in order to e-file.

There still are several federal and state forms that aren't available yet.

You can check form availability here: Tax form availability tool.

The IRS will not begin to accept/reject 2023 e-filed returns until January 29, 2024.  Your state return will not be accepted until after your federal return is accepted.

Click here for "What is a Schedule C?"

Click here for IRS instructions for Form Schedule C.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Cannot e-file Schedule C

I still get an error message with ZERO deductions/expenses on Schedule C. I am not missing any forms and all forms have been finalized per the TurboTax website. In addition, there are many others posting in this community that are having the same issue even with the upgraded TurboTax versions. For a small Schedule C with little expenses and no depreciation, I have used Deluxe in the past with no problems and TurboTax Deluxe does allow for filing an uncomplicated Schedule C. Hopefully this will be resolved after January 29 or I may have to switch to H&R Block to efile.

Cannot e-file Schedule C

Per the TurboTax website, the online Deluxe will not allow for expenses, but the desktop version will. As I previously stated, it will not let me efile even if I have ZERO expenses on Schedule C.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Cannot e-file Schedule C

It is true that any desktop version will file a Schedule C - - all desktop versions handle all forms.   However, the IRS does not accept returns until next week.  It is too early in the tax season to file most returns.   You can view the forms availability chart to see what forms are not ready.   There are a lot of forms you may not be aware of that get sent with a Schedule C.    For example, Qualified Business Income Deduction (QBI), forms are not all ready yet.   Your return may need that form.   

Check back next week when we are closer to the IRS accepting returns.  

Cannot e-file Schedule C

Yet the program will allow me to efile with no error message if I delete the Schedule C.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Cannot e-file Schedule C

So there is something on your Schedule C that is not ready yet, but that is completely normal for this time of year.   Wait to file until all forms are ready, otherwise, you will need to amend later, and you want to avoid that.  

Cannot e-file Schedule C

This is a known issue ... be patient and wait for the fix. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies