Cannot e-file Federal Return from 2023 TurboTax Home and Business Error: employee credits for small businesses

I cannot e-file my federal return due to the above error.  My total wages paid to my employees is highlighted, and I get the above error referring to form 8881 (which I dont use anyway).  What is going on?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MayaD

Form 8881 Credit for Small Employer Pension Plan Startup Costs and Auto-Enrollment won't be available in TurboTax until 03/06/2024.

It takes some time to incorporate IRS forms into TurboTax. While they may be available from the IRS on a given date, we need a few days to make the forms available for use in TurboTax.

Eligible small employers use form 8881 to claim the credit for qualified startup costs incurred in establishing or administering an eligible employer plan.

For more information, check: What is Form 8881: Tax Credit for Small Employer Pension Plan Startup Costs

To delete a form that you don't need, check: How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

I understand. However I have no need for form 8881 on my return so I deleted it.  My company does not have a small business pension plan.   Yet I still cannot e-file due to TurboTax Home and Biz hanging up on this.  Is there a way to get around this so I don't have to wait weeks to file my taxes.  My return is getting hung up by something not applicable to my return.  Thanks!

aeisen

Farmers are due March 1 and the same error is preventing the filing of those returns

PatriciaV

Taxpayers who are filing with a business and have employee wages will have to wait until all the forms are ready. There have been some changes in the tax law that will affect the tax return and TurboTax is working hard to provide you with a reliable product that allows you all possible deductions and credits. The current estimated date for availability of the form is 03/6/24.

There is no way to e-file your return before this form is released. You can, however, choose to file by mail.

I understand there are tax law implications holding up release of the affected form.  However that form does not apply to my return.  I have no Small Employee Pension Plan.  I deleted Form 8881 from my return and I still cannot eFile my return.  

Please have your programmers make a fix so that if Form 8881 is not required on someone's return, it will not hang up efiling said returns.  For instance, if we delete Form 8881 from our filing, then the efile will successfully transmit.  Seems to make sense to me. 

Thank you.  

What if I change my gross wages to 0.00 and put the name Gross Wages and the amount under misc?  Will that work and will the IRS accept that?

Can I move my wages to misc expenses and write out Gross Wages and enter the amount?  Will that then allow me to e-file my return?  This is absolutely ridiculous!!

PatriciaV

You have the option to report any expenses under Miscellaneous with a custom description. Some businesses use this section to list all expenses rather than filling out the dedicated lines. In the unlikely event that the IRS questions this treatment, you have adequate reason due to the forms delay.

@kinserra