turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Calculation error

I edited my S-corp distributions in the cell provided in the shareholder information section, but the number did not change on the retained earnings reconciliations page.  What's wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Calculation error

TurboTax will not prepare the balance sheet if the corporation's income and total assets are less than $250,000 (unless you indicate that you want to complete the balance sheet anyway).

Regardless, the balance sheet in TurboTax Business is largely a manual entry affair and you will generally always have to reconcile retained earnings in the program.

Calculation error

My problem is this:

The math in the Retained Earnings Reconciliation Summery window goes like this:

beginning retained earnings

Plus book net income

less shareholder distributions

equals ending retained earnings 

As far as I can tell, the number used here for shareholder distributions should pull from the only place that it is entered: the Distributions to Shareholders window under the shareholder information tab.  However that is not happening.  The number is not correct, and it does not change even when I experimentally modify it.  Is there something malfunctioning?  Any suggestions of how can I successfully enter my shareholder distributions number?

Calculation error

@marknewman wrote:

As far as I can tell, the number used here for shareholder distributions should pull from the only place that it is entered: the Distributions to Shareholders window under the shareholder information tab.  However that is not happening.  The number is not correct, and it does not change even when I experimentally modify it.

I just tried entering distributions in a test return and the results are depicted in the screenshot below. I was able to modify the figure and the modified figure appeared in the RE screen each time.

I have presumed that you are using the 2018 version of TurboTax Business so please advise if that is not the case.

If you are unable to resolve this issue, I would suggest contact Support (link at the bottom of this post) during regular business hours.

s1.jpg

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies