Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Business Expenses

I have a newly acquired rental property.  I have been preparing the house for rent.  I can pull out all the expenses from my credit card statements.  Is this satisfactory or do I have to have the actual receipts?  Based on locations (I live in one state and the property is in another state) I can show my actual expenses. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Business Expenses

No, as long as you have a written record (it can be computerized also) of your income and expenses you can prepare your tax return.  It would be a good idea to keep a separate bank account and a separate credit card specifically for the rental property which would make the recordkeeping very simplified.

The state where the property is located may require that you file a tax return in that state, even if there is a loss on the rental.  You can check the filing requirements for nonresidents by clicking on that state in the link below.

The house will be a depreciable asset and the land must be separated out assuming there is land.  You can use the tax assessments from the city or county to figure out the cost basis for both. You will add to the house any capital improvements made before the property was rented to arrive at the total building costs.

You can begin taking the depreciation and expenses on the date the house was available and marketed for rent. The link below is a helpful publication for residential rental activities and taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies