Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Balance sheet out of balance in turbotax business

This is my first year filing return for my S-corp I founded in 2023. At the beginning, I funded some money to my business bank account which is counted as startup costs, and got deducted as new corp expenses. At the end of the year, I have slightly more than the initial fund I deposited, which I treated it as assets by the end of year. For some reason, the balance sheet couldn't be balanced out. How could I trouble shoot the issue?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

are you out of balance by the amount you put in initially for start-up costs? That needs to be shown as either paid-in capital or stock.  it's important to get this right because sooner or later you're going to have to provide in your 1040 form 7203 which is to show the IRS you had enough basis in the S-Corp to take any net losses and to make any distributions to you tax-free.  Keep track of your basis starting with the first year. if you don't there will be a mess in the years the 7203 is required.

pro software tracks basis for the tax preparer and stockholders in most cases. Turbotax does not track basis as far as I know 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Are you sure you need to include a Balance Sheet for your S-Corp? You can skip the Balance Sheet section if:

• Total business income (before deductions) is under $250,000; and
  • Your business is not filing an Alabama, Connecticut (non-partnership), District of Columbia, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Jersey (non-partnership), New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee return; and
  • Corporation year-end assets are under $250,000 or partnership/LLC year-end assets are under $1,000,000.

See also:

Troubleshooting balance sheet issues can become a complex and tedious process. You may consider upgrading to TurboTax Live. This online service provides step-by-step guidance from a tax expert whenever you need assistance, either over the phone or by screensharing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

are you out of balance by the amount you put in initially for start-up costs? That needs to be shown as either paid-in capital or stock.  it's important to get this right because sooner or later you're going to have to provide in your 1040 form 7203 which is to show the IRS you had enough basis in the S-Corp to take any net losses and to make any distributions to you tax-free.  Keep track of your basis starting with the first year. if you don't there will be a mess in the years the 7203 is required.

pro software tracks basis for the tax preparer and stockholders in most cases. Turbotax does not track basis as far as I know 

After I entered the initial start-up cost as paid-in capital, it looks like it is in balance now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies