turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are shareholder loans to an S corporation used in calculating ownership basis?

Do loans made to an S-corp by a 55% and a 45% shareholder have to be considered in calculating % ownership basis?  Answered all the questions in Step-by-Step TurboTax for Business and was never asked about the loans; only if they had been repaid. But, I see there is a form for 1120S labeled, "Stock and Loan Basis Information Worksheet" that TT never asked me to fill out.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In general, loans by S corporation shareholder's will have no impact on ownership.  You do need to make sure that you have a document between the shareholder and company which reflects a fair interest rate.  You also need to make sure that there are loan repayments or the IRS could take a position that the "loan" was really just a capital contribution.

The loans just impact the balance sheet.  What will have tax implications is when there are loan repayments as the interest expense will be reported on the income statement.

The reason TT has the worksheet to complete is the software will attempt to track each shareholder's basis in the S corporation.  I am not sure at what point TT recognizes shareholder loans.  Probably occurs in the shareholder information section.  

I would recommend that each shareholder maintain their own basis schedule as the business software has no idea of what is happening when the shareholder prepares their personal tax return.  

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

In general, loans by S corporation shareholder's will have no impact on ownership.  You do need to make sure that you have a document between the shareholder and company which reflects a fair interest rate.  You also need to make sure that there are loan repayments or the IRS could take a position that the "loan" was really just a capital contribution.

The loans just impact the balance sheet.  What will have tax implications is when there are loan repayments as the interest expense will be reported on the income statement.

The reason TT has the worksheet to complete is the software will attempt to track each shareholder's basis in the S corporation.  I am not sure at what point TT recognizes shareholder loans.  Probably occurs in the shareholder information section.  

I would recommend that each shareholder maintain their own basis schedule as the business software has no idea of what is happening when the shareholder prepares their personal tax return.  

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies