turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I file my IT-245 form

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MollsBBU

After you have completed the Federal portion of your return, you will move to the State preparation. On the "Take a look at New York credits and taxes" look to the first section "You and Your Family." Next to Active Volunteer Firefighter or Ambulance Worker, click Start

TurboTax will prepare an IT-245 based on your entries in this part of the program.

Please note: Full-year New York State residents may claim a credit if they provided volunteer services as a firefighter or ambulance worker for the entire year of 2017 and did not receive a real property tax exemption that relates to your volunteer service.

User5262968
Returning Member

How to do this for 2022 Tax Return? Is this no longer supported on Turbotax for NY State Return?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, TurboTax will include IT-245.   When you go through the NY state return, look for a page title Take a look at NY credits and taxes.   Click Start next to Active Volunteer Firefighter or Ambulance Worker.  

You are entitled to claim this credit if for all of the tax year you:

• were an active volunteer firefighter or volunteer ambulance worker, and
  • were a resident of New York State.

Note: You cannot claim this credit if you receive a real property tax exemption that relates to your volunteer service. However, if the property has multiple owners, the owner(s) whose volunteer service was not the basis of the exemption may be eligible to claim the credit.

The credit amount is $200 ($400 for married filing joint taxpayers where both spouses are eligible). If the credit exceeds your tax for the year, any excess will be refunded without interest.  @kscheller99 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies