turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I get a K-1? I am a new business owner and it is my first time filing for it. How do I get a K-1 generated?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where do I get a K-1? I am a new business owner and it is my first time filing for it. How do I get a K-1 generated?

A K-1 would be generated by a partnership or S-Corp.  If you formed your business as either a Partnership or an S-Corp and are required to file either the 1120S or 1065 you would need to use TurboTax Business to file your Partnership or S-Corp return.  Either filing will generate a Schedule K-1 which you will then use to file your personal income tax return.  The K-1 is entered on your personal return by:

1. Click on Federal Taxes
  2. Income & Expenses
  3. Scroll down to Business Investment and Estate/Trust Income and click Show More
  4. Click Start next to Schedule K-1

If on the other hand, your business is a sole proprietorship or a Single Member LLC (not required to file 1065) you will then just need to use TurboTax Self-Employed which will take you through the steps to fill out a Schedule C.  If this is the case, you will not have a K-1.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

A K-1 would be generated by a partnership or S-Corp.  If you formed your business as either a Partnership or an S-Corp and are required to file either the 1120S or 1065 you would need to use TurboTax Business to file your Partnership or S-Corp return.  Either filing will generate a Schedule K-1 which you will then use to file your personal income tax return.  The K-1 is entered on your personal return by:

1. Click on Federal Taxes
  2. Income & Expenses
  3. Scroll down to Business Investment and Estate/Trust Income and click Show More
  4. Click Start next to Schedule K-1

If on the other hand, your business is a sole proprietorship or a Single Member LLC (not required to file 1065) you will then just need to use TurboTax Self-Employed which will take you through the steps to fill out a Schedule C.  If this is the case, you will not have a K-1.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much, that completely answered my question.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies