Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2018 1041 - error on total income tax

Using 2018 Turbotax Business, I prepared the 1041 (Tax Year 2018) for a complex trust in early April 2019.  At the end of the preparation, the checking part of the software indicated no errors found, so I filed the return.  In October 2019 I received a letter (and refund) of $745.00 that stated "We found an error in the computation of your total income tax".  I subsequently researched the IRS memo "Error in Tax Calculation in 2018 Schedule D (Form 1041) Tax Worksheet" and determined it did not apply because I had no 28% rate or unrecaptured section 1250 gain.  Furthermore, I downloaded the latest Turbotax software update and the calculation did not change.  Would the kind folks at Intuit like to help me figure out why the software finds no error but the IRS does?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

2018 1041 - error on total income tax

@jllatimer wrote:

Would the kind folks at Intuit like to help me figure out why the software finds no error but the IRS does?

The threshold questions would involve whether the IRS made an error in their calculation or whether there was an input error.

Regardless, if you cannot resolve this on your own by reviewing your 2018 return for an input error, then you will have to contact Support (link below). One way Support can provide further assistance is by having you send them a sanitized (all identifying information removed) copy of your 2018 return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies