Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 for the owner of small business?

My wife owns a house cleaning company. Should we file a 1099 for her? If so, which one? The Misc? Or do we just include that as income? If both are okay, what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks,

AM

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No, she does not give herself a Form 1099-MISC for the income from her business.  Her net profit or loss is already reported on the Schedule C and on the Schedule 1 Line 3.

A Form 1099-MISC is given to a non-employee (not a company) who has provided a service to her business and then only if the service provided is $600 or more.

If the LLC you are considering is a single-member LLC that is not incorporated with the state, then the IRS considers this type of LLC as a disregarded entity with the income and expenses from the LLC entered on a Schedule C.

Go to this IRS website for Single Member LLC information - https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/single-member-limited-liability-compan...

View solution in original post

5 Replies

How is the company organized?  Is this a sole proprietorship or a single member LLC that has Not incorporated?  Is this a Partnership or multi-member LLC?

sole proprietorship. I am thinking of changing it to an LLC. Would that be helpful?

No, she does not give herself a Form 1099-MISC for the income from her business.  Her net profit or loss is already reported on the Schedule C and on the Schedule 1 Line 3.

A Form 1099-MISC is given to a non-employee (not a company) who has provided a service to her business and then only if the service provided is $600 or more.

If the LLC you are considering is a single-member LLC that is not incorporated with the state, then the IRS considers this type of LLC as a disregarded entity with the income and expenses from the LLC entered on a Schedule C.

Go to this IRS website for Single Member LLC information - https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/single-member-limited-liability-compan...

Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up. I was going to register it with the state. I am in Fla.

Carl
Level 15

sole proprietorship. I am thinking of changing it to an LLC. Would that be helpful?

No. When it comes to taxes, the only difference between a sole proprietorship and a single member LLC is the spelling. Literally!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies