Error 1310: Error writing to file or Attempt to write a read-only database when installing or updating TurboTax when:
- You're not logged in as an administrator.
- An antivirus, anti-malware, firewall, desktop search, or backup program is interfering with Windows Installer.
- You don't have enough free space on your hard disks.
- Folder permissions are set incorrectly:
- The SYSTEM group on your computer does not have Full Control privileges for the directory being updated.
- The Everyone group on your computer does not have Full Control privileges for the directory being updated.
- The Windows Installer system component is not installed correctly.
If you receive this error when attempting to update TurboTax, sign in as a computer administrator, and then update.
If the problem continues, or if you're receiving this error when installing TurboTax:
- Clean up your hard drive.
- Restart your computer.
- Make sure you are logged in as an administrator.
- Exit all running programs and close browser windows.
- Temporarily turn off anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall, desktop search, or backup programs you've installed.
- Try installing or updating again.
If the error continues occurring, download the Windows Installer.