turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wrong state tax

since i started working this job, my states taxes has been deducted from the wrong state. How do i file this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Wrong state tax

You will need to file a tax return for the state where your withholding was sent and a tax return for your resident state.

Since states do not share withholding with each other you cannot claim the withholding for one state on a different state's tax return.  If you do not owe taxes to the state where your withhold was sent then you should get a refund of the taxes withheld.  You will probably owe the state where your withholding should have been sent though since that state did not receive any taxes from your through the year.

Going forward you should talk with your employer immediately to get this fixed for 2017.  If your employer has withheld state taxes during 2017 for the wrong state they may be able to correct it before the end of the year so you will only have to file one state tax return.  If your employer cannot fix it in 2017, you will have to file two state returns next year also.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies