Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did a federal return and sent it in, but waited and did not do a state yet. I need to do a normal state, but the software is making me do an amended state.

How can I do a regular state return and not an amended one, or do I have to do an amended state even though I have not sent a regular state return in yet?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AngelG

I did a federal return and sent it in, but waited and did not do a state yet. I need to do a normal state, but the software is making me do an amended state.

No, you should just be able to add a state. Follow the steps below -

- Sign into your account.
    -Click My TurboTax menu > Visit My Tax Timeline
    -Under SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO click on Add a state (You are not adding a state to your return, unless it is needed.  This allows you to get back into your return.)
    -Click File on the left.
    -Follow the onscreen instructions. Until you get to a page that says "Here are your filing choices."
    -Under your returns select "I'd like to change filing methods."
    -In here, next to your federal return select "I'm not ready to file." Next to your state select how you want to file.
    -Click Save at the bottom.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AngelG

No, you should just be able to add a state. Follow the steps below -

- Sign into your account.
    -Click My TurboTax menu > Visit My Tax Timeline
    -Under SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO click on Add a state (You are not adding a state to your return, unless it is needed.  This allows you to get back into your return.)
    -Click File on the left.
    -Follow the onscreen instructions. Until you get to a page that says "Here are your filing choices."
    -Under your returns select "I'd like to change filing methods."
    -In here, next to your federal return select "I'm not ready to file." Next to your state select how you want to file.
    -Click Save at the bottom.

thank you for the quick response!
AngelG

You're quite welcome 🙂
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies