Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can we file amended joint return and include elderly husband's income & deductions if I filed married separately but he never filed past 4 years?

Husband is elderly and has Alzheimer's.  He could not manage to get his tax stuff together to have someone help him.  I had been filing Married filing separately for 2012-2015 using TurboTax Deluxe.  Can I file amended return for those 4 years and include his income and deductions?  I believe you can only go back three years for amended returns.  Is there an exception for "injured" or incapacitated spouse?  He did have a good chunk of taxes withheld by his broker.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can we file amended joint return and include elderly husband's income & deductions if I filed married separately but he never filed past 4 years?

You can file amended returns for those years to file as Married Filing Joint and include your husbands tax information. You will need your .tax files or a copy of your tax returns, your information must be entered exactly as it was when you filed, then you can change to married filing Joint and add his information.

You need the tax software for each year you are amending.  Amended returns with TurboTax must be mailed in. 

Generally, to claim a refund, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

-----------------------------------------------

How do I amend a separate return to Married Filing Jointly?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300283

View solution in original post

2 Replies

"has Alzheimer's."  Is he competent to sign a tax return?  Are you his appointed guardian?

You can file amended returns for those years to file as Married Filing Joint and include your husbands tax information. You will need your .tax files or a copy of your tax returns, your information must be entered exactly as it was when you filed, then you can change to married filing Joint and add his information.

You need the tax software for each year you are amending.  Amended returns with TurboTax must be mailed in. 

Generally, to claim a refund, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

-----------------------------------------------

How do I amend a separate return to Married Filing Jointly?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300283

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies