turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jets2428

Already filed, but forgot a w2.

It says i cant efile after i amend my returns, no idea what filing by mail is, and i cant get any of you on a phone
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you must file an amended 2016 tax return to include information that was missed, and amended returns must be printed and mailed.

However, we recommend that you wait to amend until after the IRS has processed your original return and you have received your refund (if any). It's possible the IRS will adjust your return for the missing W2, in which case you will not need to amend your return. This happens fairly often for unreported income.

If you do need to amend, the form and instructions needed to amend your 2016 tax return will be available after February 11, 2017

Once the form is ready, TurboTax can help you file the amendment.  To learn more about amending your tax return, please review the information in the following link and the Frequently Asked Question included below. 
Do I Need to Amend? 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

Note: these links will include instructions on how to print and mail your amended return - when the forms are released.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you must file an amended 2016 tax return to include information that was missed, and amended returns must be printed and mailed.

However, we recommend that you wait to amend until after the IRS has processed your original return and you have received your refund (if any). It's possible the IRS will adjust your return for the missing W2, in which case you will not need to amend your return. This happens fairly often for unreported income.

If you do need to amend, the form and instructions needed to amend your 2016 tax return will be available after February 11, 2017

Once the form is ready, TurboTax can help you file the amendment.  To learn more about amending your tax return, please review the information in the following link and the Frequently Asked Question included below. 
Do I Need to Amend? 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

Note: these links will include instructions on how to print and mail your amended return - when the forms are released.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies